Monday, June 9, 2008

Thank You

Where do I begin? Let me start with this.

"God does notice us, and he watches over us.
But it is usually through another mortal
that he meets our needs."
Spencer W. Kimball

As I have been going through this entire process, I have been constantly amazed by the incredible outreach of love and service that our family has received. I feel overwhelmed in the responsibility to "pay it forward". I will be paying it for a very long time! I wish I had enough mental capacity to thank each and every one of you with a personal note of thanks. Please let this suffice for now.

For most of my married life, I found a lot of happiness serving other people at every possible opportunity. I loved to strengthen the feeble knees and lift the hands that hung down and to feed the hungry. My heart would hurt every time I heard of a hardship of someone else and would try everything in my power to help. It is strange, now that I am the one who needs strengthened and my hands lifted, it is difficult! I often say, "I wish I was a big girl again!" I wish I could do everything I could before we lost the baby. I am realizing though, that I am still learning about being on the other side.

I wish I could describe to you every single sweet gift, phone call, act of service and everything else I have been given. I know that MANY people have been prompted in their own way to serve me and my family. My heartfelt thanks for your obedience to the spirit. You don't know how many prayers have been answered because of your willingness to serve.

As I continue to go through this process, I realize that this is going to take a lot longer to get through than I had hoped. I so appreciate the continued small acts of service, emails, phone calls, that are still coming. It astounds me. I don't know how long this is going to take to heal from, but I am sustained knowing that I have you as my support.

A few years ago, I was pondering the scripture in Matthew 11:38:
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light, and then another scripture came to my mind in Mosiah 18:8: ...and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light. I had always wondered how that Lord could be with every person and make their burdens light. It just didn't add up. And then I realized, as we take upon ourselves to live our lives as Christ lived, we are taking upon ourselves his yoke. The burden becomes light by those that have promised to live the same way. It's a two-way street! I am so grateful to all those that have helped to make my burdens light. So many people have said to me at how they are amazed at my strength and ability to get through this. I have to say that it wasn't me that got me through, it was all of you. It sounds cheesy any way I try to put it, but I really can't describe how truly grateful I am for your service to me and my family.

May you each be blessed both individually and your families for the love, support, prayers, gifts, emails, phone calls, cards, comments on my blog :), meals, watching my monkeys, and anything else you have done. I know that you will be blessed for your service. This journey is easier because of you.


7 comments:

ganelle said...

I remember talking to Brianna about our struggles when Trent was first born. I asked her how long it would take to "get over it" She told met that she sometimes still struggled (Connor was in NICU) but that she struggled less often.

It's OK that this will take awhile. If you were feeling 'through' the process already, I'd tell you that you really hadn't dealt with it fully. It will take time. It's SUPPOSED to take time. And, in the meantime, we continue to love and support your journey.

Much love.

Stohl Family said...

You truly are an amazing example to me. I am so impressed by your strength and expecially your ability to smile, and even count your blessings, through your challenges. At times, that must be so difficult to do. You are a beautiful person inside and out. I feel blessed to know you and have the opportunity to learn from your example.
Please know that you and your family are always in our thoughts and prayers.

lifeonthecoast said...

You're *always* welcome for any of the small things we can manage to do from a distance.

It's OK not to feel normal and like a "big girl." Be gentle with yourself and don't expect too much from yourself too soon.

In my experience, it will take a long time before you get back to feeling *mostly* normal, and even then, you will have your moments, those that will catch you by surprise in the years to come.

The wonderful thing about blogging is that you can share your triumphs and trials with us and we can cheer for you, pat you on the back, and reach out our hands to support you from afar. It's two blessings you give to us to share your life with us and be "another mortal" to you, like President Kimball said.

Annie Carie said...

I don't have any fancy words to say except, I love you.

And I think and pray about you a lot.

nelson6 said...

One day, one hour, one minute at a time right. It never ceases to amaze me how fast life goes by, even when we are living minute to minute. Thanks for your example of faith and strength, you continue to be in our prayers!

Our Family Happenings said...

We are always so glad that we can help. I know that you struggle to let people help you because you want to be the perfect super-mom, but no one is, that is why we are here on this earth. To learn and to grow. You really are an amazing person, with a wonderful testimony. Thank you for letting us help you out, and you should never feel that you need to repay us, we want to help and don't expect anything in return, just for you to be glad that we can help you and your family out!

DeeDee said...

Bec-
You are truly an amazing person to me. Your example, your love, your smile, your warm wishes, your kindness, your truth, your faith, your willingness to be there for me recently and always has been such a strength in my life. I thank Heavenly Father for you all the time.
I was talking to someone on the airplane the other day (on my way to Phoenix) and they said that they had suffered a great loss in their lives and the pain is always close to their heart yet, they haqve learned to muffle it through the kindness of others, brought to them by their God. I am sure you will see the love and support from loved ones and even strangers for the rest of your life in the small moments and the smiles that they have to share.
It always amazes me that Heavenly Father knows when I need that extra boost and at that time I receive an e-mail or a call or even a smile from a stranger. Gotta love it, yeah!
You are my most amazing friend and I love ya Bec. My thoughts often return to you , Martin and the kids on a daily basis. Please know that I am care. My heart smiles when I think of you guys.
May the Lord continue to hold you in the palm of His hand.