Friday, May 16, 2008

The first post is the hardest

Where do I begin? Most of you know that our sweet angel came to us on April 25, 2008 at 12:48 am. She was 7 lbs. 6oz and 21 in long. She was perfect in every way. Maybe too perfect. Our Father in Heaven saw fit to take her back to live with Him.

Since that horribly sweet day I continue to go through a variety of emotions. As soon as I feel I am coming to acceptance, it hits me again, as if I didn't really believe it.

One of the things that I witness DAILY are the miracles that I see. Along with all of the heartache and grief, I am reminded every day that I am being carried through this. Heavenly Father seems to know that needs that I don't know to ask for. From a friend stopping by on a REALLY bad day and offers to take all my kids, to another friend who watched our kids so that Martin and I could go on a much needed date.

Rebecca Phoebe continues to touch lives across the country. People that I have never met either send emails through friends/relatives and even gifts. I know that thousands of prayers have been said in our behalf because I feel them. Everyday. Thank you.

The kids have been able to adjust fairly well considering. They have a few breakdowns every once in a while but for the most part understand that they will be able to see Phoebe again. Both Grandmas gave something to the kids that mean a lot to them. Grammie Michel gave a Build-A-Bear Angel that they can snuggle when they miss Phoebe and Grandma Jordan crocheted a blanket to wrap the bear and the kids up in. Both continue to serve as a comfort for them.


Every day is a challenge for me. I am still trying to re-adjust to what life is now. For nine months I prepared for 6 kids and the challenges and joys that it would present. At the same time, my arms ached to finally hold my newborn in my arms. I guess I should be patient then, to prepare myself for what life is now. It amazes me how difficult this is. Fortunately, I have an inspired Relief Society President (who just called me to check in on me me as I was typing that, no joke!) who has been helping me so much. I get so frustrated every day that I am not able to function like I used to. I used to be able to handle so much. Now I am reduced to realizing I can hardly handle anything. I hope that someday I will be able to stand on my own two feet again.

I've had to swallow my pride quite a bit, and accept help that has been so willingly been given. I cannot express the intense gratitude I feel for all of those that have helped me this far. My burdens have been made light because of how much has been shouldered for me through my friends and family.

I go to sleep thinking about my sweet baby and I wake up thinking about her. I don't know how long this hole will be in my heart, but I do know that there is one who understands my grief. My Father in Heaven also lost a son in a very cruel manner. He too was powerless to change the outcome. Had Christ not suffered all, all of us would be lost. He could not have broken the bands of death so that I could see my precious daughter again. I know He grieves with me and understands the depths of my soul. How grateful I am that he holds my hand like I held my child's. I am not in this alone.

Thanks to you all for your love and support. We are overwhelmed by the immense outpouring of caring and thoughtful people who continue to watch over us.

We love you.

10 comments:

DeeDee said...

Just a few moments ago, I spoke to you on the phone and I am thankful that you are my friend. One of my dearest friends! I feel saddened that I have to sit back and watch you from a distance because I live over an hour away and have a demanding business, I cannot just jump in the car and come give you a hug. Please know that my heart is hugging your heart every moment of the day. You and your family mean the world to me and I would do ANYTHING for you, I think you know that. I am excited to come and watch the children while you and your love, Martin go on your cruise. I will spoil them rotten! Hehe! My heart, prayers and thoughts continue to be with you. I love you all! God bless your way my sweet friends...

Garity said...

I've been checking your blog nearly every day to see if you have posted. After reading your latest post I had to go in to each of my boy's rooms and hug them as they slept. I am so glad there are people close to you who are helping you out. I love them for being there for you!

ganelle said...

My heart continues to break for you. The service was so beautiful - as are the pictures.

I hope that as you go through the grieving process, you will be OK with both the beautiful and the ugly parts of this journey. I'm convinced that Heavenly Father understand and loves the process as much as the product.

I continue to love and pray for you guys. Thanks for the updated post.

Unknown said...

Rebecca, I think we would all agree that the opportunity to serve your family has been a blessing and a privilege. Just the week before Rebecca Phoebe was born I taught my Sunday School class about the scripture in Mosiah about mourning with those who mourn and comforting those who stand in need of comfort. I never imagined just a few days later I'd see such a powerful example of that scripture brought to life. I still think about you all the time and pray for you as you begin to get back to the new "normal" life. Love you!

Lindsay said...

Rebecca, you are such a great example to all of us. I know I can't possibly understand what you are going through. You are still in our thoughts and prayers! Please don't hesitate to send your kids over if you need to!

Kayla said...

What a beautiful post, and amazing pictures. You're right, she does look perfect! What a beautiful little girl, and name (I've always been a fan of Phoebe). I think about you often and pray for you as well.

The Becker Bunch said...

What a BEAUTIFUL PEFECT little lady you have!! I know the pain you feel and I can tell you that the hole will always be in your heart, but it will fill up with the love you have for your daughter as well as the love you receive from others as well as the love Heavenly Father has for you. You will ALWAYS remember your sweet angel girl, as I remember my little Logan, and that is as it should be. THey are a part of our Forever Families. What joy we have to know we will be with them again and will watch them grow and will feel their hugs. My heart has been so heavy from hearing of your news and I simply pray that you will feel whatever it is that you need to feel. Your grief is very personal and it may not look like someone else's...that's okay. We all love you from afar in good 'ol AZ and hope you will let us do whatever it is we can!!

Our Family Happenings said...

I am sure that this was one of the most difficult blogs you have ever written and I hope that you ever have to write. Phoebe really did have such and amazingly perfect and sweet spirit...you could just feel it. I am so saddened that you have to go through this trial in your families life. I wish that I could just give you a BIG hug, take away all the pain you are feeling, and make you feel all whole again. It will take time to feel like you can put yourself back together, and that is okay and totally normal. You and your family are always in my thought and prayers. What a sweet blog you put together, the picture of you and sweet baby Phoebe are precious and you will treasure them forever.

Brittany said...

I am so glad that you have had so many people helping you. I am sorry I haven't been there, or able to help. I pray that I can change that very soon.
I think about you often and the example that you set for me, and am so thankful that you are in my life.
You are in my prayers and our family prayers. You have the best cheerleaders including Heavenly Father on your side.

Stacey said...

My heart goes out to you...I only met you that one time in Relief Society...but I feel for you...
Things will get easier....You are in my thoughts...